A classic cheesy starter for 6.
80g white breadcrumbs
125g butter, plus some for greasing ramekins
125g plain flour
600ml whole milk
6 eggs, yolks and whites separated
200g mature cheddar cheese, grated
1tsp Dijon mustard
1/2tsp mild chilli powder
1) Preheat the oven 200C/gas mark 6.
2) Lightly grease 6 ramekins with butter and coat the insides with breadcrumbs.
3) Melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes. Take the pan of the heat and then slowly stir in the milk until you get a thick, smooth sauce.
4) Put the pan back on the heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer gently for 10 minutes and then take off the heat.
5) Beat in the egg yolks, cheese, mustard and chilli powder and season well.
6) Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, before folding into the cheese mixture with a large metal spoon. Divide the mixture between the ramekins and place them on a baking sheet.
7) Bake for around 15 minutes until the soufflés are well risen and golden. Eat immediately with side salad (optional).