You don’t have to make this months in advance – and the result is deliciously moist!
Mincemeat - 1½ x 411g jars
Large Orange - 1 x grated zest
Brandy - 2 tbsp (optional)
Self-raising flour - 50g
Mixed Spice - 1 tsp
Fresh White Breadcrumbs - 50g
Egg - 1 beaten
Icing sugar to decorate
1) Empty the mincemeat into a large bowl and, using a wooden spoon, stir in the grated orange zest and brandy if using.
2) Sift the self-raising flour and spice together and stir into the mincemeat mixture with the breadcrumbs.
3) Stir in the beaten egg.
4) Spoon into a greased 900ml pudding basin, completely cover with greaseproof paper (put a pleat in the paper to allow for the pudding to rise), then foil and tie around the rim of the basin with string to secure. Loop the string over and tie at the other side to make handles.
5) Put the pudding basin on an upturned saucer in a large, deep pan, and pour in boiling water until it comes halfway up the side of the pudding basin.
6) Cover and steam for 3 hours, topping up the water level occasionally. Alternatively, cover loosely with greaseproof paper and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes.
7) Turn out onto a serving plate, dust with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream and brandy butter.