These chocolate cupcakes topped with chocolate butter icing and liquorice spider legs are a perfect creative dessert for your Halloween party!
For the cupcakes:
120g plain flour
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
140g caster sugar
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
40g softened unsalted butter
For the butter icing:
130g unsalted butter, softened
80g icing sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
For the decoration: chocolate strands, liquorice laces cut into 6cm sections, red jelly beans, edible glitter (optional).
1) Preheat the oven to 170C (375F). Put the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt and butter into a bowl and mix, or use an electric mixer. Add around half of the milk a little at a time until it is all mixed in.
2) Whisk together the egg and the rest of the milk in another bowl, then pour into the first mixture and mix together until smooth.
3) Spoon mixture into cupcake cases and bake for 20-25 minutes. Leave to cool once baked.
4) To make the butter icing. Beat the butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder together using an electric hand whisk, until fluffy. Spread the buttercream over the top of each cake.
5) Scatter the chocolate strands and edible glitter (optional) over the cupcakes. Add four pieces of liquorice lace to each side of the cakes to form the spider legs and add jelly beans (or other small sweets) for eyes.
Store in an airtight container.