Delicious individual carrot cakes topped with oh-so-cute Easter chicks.
For the cakes:
80g unsalted butter
100g light brown sugar
80g golden syrup
150g self-raising flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 medium carrots, peeled and grated
For the topping:
160g unsalted butter, softened
300g icing sugar
1 tbsp whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g desiccated coconut
A few drops of yellow food colouring
10 orange Jelly Tots, trimmed into triangles
20 chocolate chips
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4 and line a mu¬ffin tray with 10 cupcake cases.
2) Add the 80g butter, brown sugar and syrup to a saucepan and melt together on a medium-low heat, stirring to combine. Remove from the heat, then stir in the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, carrot, eggs and a pinch of salt, then mix well until you have a smooth batter.
3) Spoon into the cupcake cases and bake for 20-25 minutes, until risen and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cakes. Remove and allow to cool on a wire rack.
4) Make a buttercream. Add the 160g butter, icing sugar, milk and vanilla extract to a bowl and beat for 4 minutes with an electric whisk until pale and fluffy. In a separate bowl, combine the coconut and a few drops of yellow food colouring, stirring through until uniformly bright yellow.
5) Cover the top of each cooled cupcake with a smear of buttercream, then top with the yellow coconut flakes. Add an orange Jelly Tot ‘beak’ and 2 chocolate chip ‘eyes’ to complete each chick.