These tree decorations make great gifts and are simple enough to get the children involved, too.
350g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
175g light muscovado sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
1) Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and ground cinnamon into a bowl.
2) Add the butter and rub together with your fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
3) Stir in the sugar.
4) Beat the egg with the syrup, add to the dry ingredients and mix into a dough, then wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge four 1 hour.
5) On a floured surface, roll out the dough to 5mm thick, then cut out shapes using your favourite cutters (you should have enough for 16 biscuits).
6) Bake for 12-15 minutes at 180c/Gas 4, or until golden brown.
7) Remove the bscuits from the oven and, while they are hot and fairly soft, use a cocktail stick to create a hole each one. Make the holes large enough to thread a ribbon through, so the biscuits can be hung from a Christmas tree. Trasnfer to a rack to cool, then let your imagination run wild with the decorations.