Bake and decorate your own biscuits with the kids over the holiday weekend.
125g butter or margarine
150g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
225g plain flour
Finely-grated zest of 1 orange
250g icing sugar
Food colouring and sugar flowers, to decorate
1) Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4
2) Beat together the butter or margarine with the caster sugar. Beat in the egg yolks until smooth and sift over the plain flour. Mix in with the finely-grated zest of 1 orange.
3) Roll out the dough to half a centimetre thick on a lightly-floured surface and cut out shapes.
4) Bake on a greased baking sheet for 10-15 minutes until pale golden. Cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5) To ice the biscuits, mix the icing sugar with a couple of teaspoons of water until stiff. Divide into 3 bowls and colour according to your choice.
6) Ice each biscuit and leave to set. Spoon a third of each of the coloured icings into separate piping bags with a fine nozzle and pipe decorations on each biscuit. Leave to set.