These light and aromatic Thai fishcakes are quick and easy to make and make a perfect starter or light dinner.
400g potatoes, cooked and mashed
4 salmon fillets, skinless and boneless
2tbsp Thai red curry paste
6 spring onions, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 red chilli, finely chopped
3tbsp vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
4tbsp white breadcrumbs
4tbsp plain flour
1 lemon, cut into wedges for serving (optional)
1) Make the mash potato, ensuring the potatoes are well drained and steamed before mashing to reduce the water content, do not add any butter or milk. Set aside in a large bowl.
2) Fry the salmon fillets in 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil together with the garlic, spring onions and chilli. Cook until the salmon is crispy on the outside and the flesh is no longer transparent on the inside. Remove the salmon from the pan and set aside.
3) Add the Thai red curry paste to the frying pan and cook off for a minute, so that it absorbs the cooking juices and mixes with the crispy pieces of garlic and chilli left in the pan, before stirring into the mash.
4) Flake the salmon into the mash and stir in. Divide the mixture into 6 to 8 patties, using wet hands.
5) Set out 3 small plates or shallow bowls, one with the breadcrumbs, one with the flour and the other with the beaten egg. Dip each patty into the flour then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs.
6) Fry in a clean frying pan on a medium heat in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil for around 3-5 minutes each side until crispy and golden.